Simple Steps to Submit Sitemap to Google with the Yoast SEO Plugin
It’s important that you verify your blog with Google through their webmaster tools. Then, you’ll want to make sure to submit your sitemap, too. A sitemap is exactly what it sounds like; it’s a map of your site. Basically, it’s a list of pages most often laid out in hierarchy. Submitting your sitemap lets Google and other search engines know how your site is organized. This helps when they index your site for searches.
Without a Sitemap, search engines may not otherwise know all the pages you have on your blog. Nor would they know how often you update. These factor in on where you end up in the search results which makes it extra important to ensure you submit your sitemap.
Using the Yoast SEO plugin makes getting your sitemap created and then submitted a breeze. You can even use the free version. That’s what I do.
Watch the video tutorial on submitting your sitemap (or scroll down below it for written directions):
How to Submit a Sitemap to Google
FIRST: You will have had to verify your site with Google before you can do this. Then, follow these steps:
1. Install and activate the Yoast SEO plugin
2. On the left side of the dashboard screen, find and click on SEO.
3. Click on XML Sitemaps and click Enabled.
3. **NOTE If you don’t see XML Sitemaps in the list, you need to enable Advanced Settings. To do that, click the Feature tab and then click Enabled under Advanced Settings.
4. Click on XML Sitemaps if needed. customize if you’d like, and then click Save Changes.
5. You can click on the XML Sitemap link to view your sitemap and grab the URL.
6. Then, sign in to Search Console. Use the same account information as you use to sign in to Google Analytics.
7. Click on your website.
8. Click on Crawl and then Sitemaps.
9. Click the red ADD/TEST SITEMAP button.
10. Add your sitemap URL and then click Test or Submit.
As always, be sure to let me know if something doesn’t make sense or if you have any questions.